James Gray: For many years, these were private, their use being restricted to the owners and tenants of the neighbouring houses. This photograph dates from 1920 and shows the high trees and railings which enclosed the gardens. Note also the old façade of Palmeira Stores and the much smaller frontage of William Hill’s shop. Additional Information: Palmeira Square. jgc_11_151
2018: This is the view facing south-east along Western Road today.
James Gray: The railings were removed when Hove Corporation acquired the enclosure after the 1939-45 War, and this photograph dates from 1950, before the introduction of the Floral Clock. jgc_11_152
2018: This current photograph faces east, showing bus stops to the north side of the gardens. One of the flower beds has been replaced by the Floral Clock but the Belisha beacon and bench remain to the right of the image. (Photographer: Alison Minns)
James Gray: The view from Western Road in 1924, long before the introduction of traffic lights. Additional Information: Open topped bus. jgc_11_153
2018: The view facing west today. Mekan Charcoal Grill & Meze, the Turkish restaurant at 64 Western Road, on the south-east corner of Palmeira Square, was in 1924 a bank. Built in 1890, Zephaniah King’s ornate building for the London and County Bank, its name changed several times and by 1924 was a branch of Westminster Bank. St John’s Church is obscured by trees in the current photograph. (Photographer: Alison Minns)