This page contains information about historic streets which were nearby before this area was redeveloped. To read about historic streets in this area included in the James Gray Collection see Upper Bedford Street area.
James Gray: The gaunt appearance of the old All Souls School and Lecture Room, on 21 May 1965. Built in the 1860s to replace an earlier Ragged School, run in conjunction with All Souls Church, it no doubt served the needs of thousands of young children living in this densely populated slum area, only seriously dealt with during the 1920s. The wallboard indicates that the building was still used as a school until its end. I do not know the year of its removal. jgc_22_162
James Gray: It was no loss to Brighton when this dingy street was swept away in 1928/9. It was built in the 1830s and at one time contained 38 houses. Many of these were such hovels that by as long ago as 1894, [Nos] 1 to 12, on the north side were demolished by Brighton Corporation. These had occupied the cleared space seen in photograph jgc_22_176. Looking east from the middle of the street, towards Upper Bedford Street. Those on the right were the last houses to be removed. jgc_22_174
James Gray: View of the rear of houses in Essex Place photographed from 20 Essex Street, in 1923. Sunlight was wasted on these houses for though the backs faced south there were no rear windows! Demolished during 1928 and 1929. jgc_22_171
2019: The windowless backs of the Essex Place terraces have long gone as has Essex Place itself. The modern buildings in what is now Essex Street contain plenty of south-facing glass. The backs of Hereford Street are also visible through the gaps. (Photographer: David Jackson)
James Gray: Another old Victorian street in east Brighton which has been transformed in recent years. Houses on the south side of Essex Street, adjoining Lavender Street, photographed on 12 February 1967. No trace of these old buildings now remains as they were removed in 1968. jgc_22_181
2019: All these Victorian buildings were demolished in 1968.
James Gray: Houses on the north side, looking towards Upper Bedford Street, on 20 June 1954. An unusual feature was the gaps between the houses at intervals. Already under threat of removal the houses were demolished a year or two later. jgc_22_182
2019: As Gray indicated all these houses in Essex Street were demolished in the 1950s to be replaced by the more modern houses seen on the north side of the street today. There are still gaps between the terraces and considerably more parked cars. Warwick Point and Somerset Point are visible in the background. (Photographer: David Jackson)
James Gray: The new look of the north side, but looking from Upper Bedford Street towards Lavender Street. These new flats, two to each building, were built about 1958. The photograph was taken in 1970. jgc_22_183
2019: The buildings on the north side of Essex Street are as they were in Gray’s 1970 picture – remarkable in an area of such radical change. Wiltshire House now looms large in the background, the number of parked cars has multiplied, individual bin collection appears to have ceased and that tiny shrub in the foreground has grown into a gangling 50 year old tree. (Photographer: David Jackson)