Devil’s Dyke Hotel
Text is being prepared or edited for this entry. It will be available soon.
James Gray: In 1932 the hotel was acquired by the late Mr Fred Pigott who had it rebuilt, as shown here. During the 1939-1945 War, the Army requisitioned the building. However, it was unoccupied when it was totally destroyed by fire on 27 May 1945. jgc_37_162
2019: A new Dyke Hotel was built in 1955. In 1967 it was rebuilt as a pub and restaurant. (Photographer: Jane Cheema)
James Gray: No comment. Additional Information: Charabancs at Devil’s Dyke. jgc_37_168
2019: The hotel in the James Gray image was erected in 1871. It was a two-storey structure with balustrades around the roof line. In 1945 it was destroyed by fire. The Devil’s Dyke pub and the car park are still very busy. (Photographer: Jane Cheema)