James Gray: A close-up of this house, taken on October 27th, 1963, when it was occupied as the Bernard Baron Convalescent Home. The extension to the right of the building can be detected. Seventeen years later in 1980, it still stands with its future undecided. jgc_24_164
2020: The Bernard Baron Convalescent Home was opened in 1929 by the tobacco magnate Bernhard Baron for use by his employees. Now Queen’s Park Villa, it comprises seven flats and an office.
James Gray: Not much information is available about this house. Sometimes known as Tower Lodge, it was for several years an annexe to the Xaverian College. In 1897, when this photograph was taken, it was used as a girls’ private school. jgc_24_194
James Gray: The house was derelict when photographed above [top left] on October 27th, 1963, and its fate is uncertain. jgc_24_195
2018: Tower House has been demolished and replaced by a small block of flats called Park View, largely hidden behind the shrubbery to the right of the updated image. The building on the left is Queen’s Park Villa, also seen in jgc_24_164 above. (Photographer: Cicely Knowles)
James Gray: More lithographs [see also jgc_24_161] taken from original photographs by Edward Fox, in 1863. Here are close-up views of the two large houses, shown in their setting in [Queen’s] Park on the previous photographs [see jgc_24_159 on the Queen’s Park page]. Attree’s villa is now the Xaverian College, and Pennant Lodge, the Bernard Baron Convalescent Home. Additional Information: Demolished March 1972. jgc_24_162
James Gray: [Date unknown.] George Duddell died in the late 1880s and from his Trustees the Brighton Race Stand Trustees purchased the park, the lodges, the tower, the German Spa and other properties but not the main house, then known as Duddell’s Villa. The park was presented to the Corporation in July, 1890 and opened to the public two years later. At one time it was proposed to use the villa grounds for a zoological gardens but nothing came of this and in 1909 it was acquired for use as a Roman Catholic school. From then until 1966 it was known as the Xaverian College, but in that year the De La Salle brothers moved their school to the former Convent of the Sacred Heart in the Upper Drive, Hove. jgc_24_184 and jgc_24_185
James Gray: A fine photograph of the house, the outbuildings and part of the grounds. The exact year is not known but it was probably in the mid-1960s before the estate was sold for building. jgc_24_186
James Gray: More photographs of February 12th, 1967, showing buildings within the extensive grounds [see also jgc_24_187, 188 and 189 on the Queen’s Park Terrace page and jgc_24_ 190 on the North Drive page].