James Gray: This ancient photograph, taken from the bank of Wellington Road about opposite Camden Street, gives a good view of the Canal and surrounding area about 100 years ago. There is no means now of establishing the exact period but the references to Hallett’s Bavarian Ales suggests that it was sometime in the 1870s. Also the row of stakes in the water appear in the same place in another photograph of known 1870 vintage. Portslade Mill is just screened from view by the lower of the houses of Wellington Road. jgc_38_048
James Gray: This is the reverse view to that on the following page [shown here as jgc_38_048 above] and could well have been taken on the same day.
James Gray: People many not have realised that prior to the 1939-45 War a large field was tucked away between the complex of industrial buildings which comprised the old 1870 gas works. This field was large enough for a full-size football field, the home ground of Portslade Gasworks F.C. This photograph and the next [see top two images] of 1 September 1923 show the crowd which attended the Annual Sports. Beyond the Canal can be seen houses in Kingsway, adjoining Boundary Road, the entrance to which is clearly seen in this photograph. The field and the neighbouring buildings (see next photograph) had to go when the extension to the gas works was constructed after the last War. Now, of course, the entire area has been cleared and the works no longer exists. jgc_38_049
James Gray: [See caption for jgc_38_049 above.] jgc_38_050
James Gray: Three more photographs [jgc_38_051, 052 and 053] of the Gas Company’s Sports, held in the field adjoining the works, 1 September 1923. The pictures speak for themselves and need no special comment. jgc_38_051
James Gray: [See caption for jgc_38_051 above.] (View of the staff and children). jgc_38_052
James Gray: [See caption for jgc_38_051 below.] Additional Information: Tug-of-War. jgc_ 38_053
James Gray: View of the Eastern Arm of Shoreham harbour, during the late 1950s. Many changes have taken place in the short time which has since elapsed. Of the five chimneys seen, four have been demolished. Portslade Gas Works closed in 1971, and the ‘A’ Power Station at Southwick was demolished in 1977. Flinns’ Dyeworks (on the right) has also gone as have most of the small houses in Wellington Road. jgc_38_058
2018: In this modern image, the remains of the wooden steps leading down to the roadway are situated a few yards beyond the railings.