James Gray: Some years later, 21 January 1968. Looking down the steps by the Cliftonville Hotel at the cleared site of Ethel Street and Conway Street. The low building previously hidden from view [was] for many years occupied by a Shoeing Smith. jgc_14_103
James Gray: One of the last links with old Conway Street and Ellen Street. With the clearance of the surrounding houses, this old building was fully revealed to the public gaze for the first time. In its life of nearly 100 years it had been put to a variety of uses: motor engineers workshop, firewood dealers store, builders store and, during the 1914-1918 War, as St Barnabas Institute.
James Gray: See caption for jgc_14_113 above. jgc_14_114
2018: In place of the industrial unit and on the land south of it now stands a commercial unit (currently occupied by Essential Hygiene and Catering Supplies Ltd) with vehicular access from Ellen Street.
James Gray: A photograph taken by E W Holden of Hove on 23 July 1969. Most of these old buildings, with the exception of those on the north side of Conway Street, will be swept away as this project is completed. jgc_14_115
2018: The industrial building of Percy Vye & Co in Ethel Street and the homes in Conway Street have all been demolished.
James Gray: See caption for jgc_14_115 above. jgc_14_116
2018: The buildings in the original image have gone. In their place stands an industrial unit (currently occupied by Essential Hygiene and Catering Supplies Ltd).
James Gray: A view of this congested area, about 1930. Note how all sorts of odd buildings came to be built in what were intended to be yards or gardens of these houses, built in the late 1870s. St Barnabas Church and Ellen Street School can be picked out and Leighton Road Chimney, but the lower one to the right is a bit of a mystery. jgc_14_086