James Gray: Copy of a remarkable stereoscopic photograph, probably dating from the 1870s. The point of greatest interest is the gap in the building line, in the left hand corner, where No. 58 now stands. It is known that when Brunswick was built in the 1820s gaps were left in this position on both sides of the Square. No 1, on the east frontage was built by 1841, but the gap seen here was not closed until about 1875.
James Gray: The three small photographs [see also jgc_11_165 and 166] date from some time in the 1860s. Note the new condition of the drinking fountain, erected in 1860 by Mr George Ballard, who then lived at 37 Lansdowne Place. Note also the rough condition of the road, in these two [jgc_164 and 165] photographs. jgc_11_164
2019: The drinking fountain appears to have been moved back into Brunswick Square gardens. (Photographer: Helen Glass)