James Gray: Looking up Ann Street at the corner of St Peters Street, 21 July 1968, with one or two of the buildings already boarded up. Most of these buildings will go when the redevelopment starts. jgc_25_244
2018: 50 years later almost to the day. The London Road Congregational Church & other buildings including the north side of Belmont Street have been swept away in the redevelopment and replaced with modern housing and flats. The west front corner of St Bartholomew’s Church remains as a reference point as does the curved corner leading into St Peter’s Street. (Photographer: Jane Jordan)
James Gray: Built in 1830, and enlarged in 1857, this church suffered from a constantly dwindling congregation, and closed in 1958. Photographed in February 1959, it still stands in 1975, but in terrible dilapidation, having been used for many years as a store. Before long it must surely disappear from the face of Ann Street. jgc_25_262
James Gray: The south side of this small street in 1964. The principal building was the Chapel built in 1830 but given up in 1958, after which it was put to business use. To the right are seen private houses Nos. 40/39. At one time Ann Street extended much more to the west hence such high numbers in so short a street. All buildings seen have since been removed. jgc_10a_085
2018: The London Road Congregational Church was designed by William Simpson and opened in 1830 as the London Road Chapel.
James Gray: The baker’s shop of E. Cutress at 23 London Street, at some time between 1889 and 1895. There was a baker here from 1875 until 1936. It is now a private house but still retains the shop front. Additional information: Cutress shops are now called Forfars, but still owned by the same family. jgc_25_260