James Gray: This photograph must have been taken at about the same time as the previous two (jgc_38_085 and jgc_38_086), because the Tower is still there. jgc_38_087
2018: The tower was dismantled in 1924. The Turberville Depot is now a block of small light industrial units. (Photographer: Jeremy Knight)
James Gray: The peaceful appearance of Albion Street in 1919. Looking east, with the Methodist Church at the left. jgc_38_092
2019: The Methodist Church, known as the sailors’ church, was opened in 1876 then demolished and relocated to its current location in Manor Hall Road, Southwick in 1966, on the site of an old Roman villa.
James Gray: This tramway which was opened in 1884 ran from Brunswick Road, Shoreham through Southwick to Portslade and thence via Boundary Road and New Church Road to the Hove – Aldrington boundary at Westbourne Villas. The cars were originally drawn by steam-engines, but by 1890 horses had been substituted. In 1897 the line was acquired by the British Electric Traction Company with a view to extending an electrified service through to Hove and Brighton but this project did not materialise. The double-decker trams ceased to run on 6 June 1913, when the line finally closed down. The end of it all. The last single decker in Albion Street, Southwick, almost opposite the tram depot, to which it returned for the last time. 6 June 1913. jgc_38_069